Tuesday, May 28, 2013

the hair

(If you follow us on FB, you've seen a lot of this already, just not as much detail.)

I think I mentioned on here that Emma had a "last wish" with her hair?  If not, Emma had a last wish with her hair.  And since she is going to lose it all (as well as potentially having her last wishes in general), we didn't hesitate when she told us she wanted to color her hair pink.  

Overtime, that turned into wanting rainbow color hair.

Rainbow colored hair.  Who knows how to do that?  

I emailed the girlie that does my hair, and I asked her about it.  We did the "No matter how much it costs, we're doing this."  

She responded with something along the lines of, "I have no idea how much it'll cost, and I'll need to look into how to do it, but don't worry about paying me for my time.  I'd love to do this for Emma."  She then contacted her friend, who also does hair, and explained the situation.  She was more than happy to donate her time as well.  Since there was a lot that needed to be done, they figured they'd get it done twice as fast with both of them.  And that was true!

Neither of them had experience in something like this, so it was quite the amusing experiment for them (for me!).

So, here's enough detail that it could actually be a tutorial...

They started by bleaching her hair, each doing half her head (did the same when it came time to color).

Don't let Emma's expression fool you.  She was incredibly excited!



Hair with bleach on, giving it some time to do it's thing.  The nice thing is, we really didn't have to care about whether the process damaged her hair or not.  She won't hair have her hair for too much longer anyway...as it'll come out from the chemo.  (Her hair is totally fine after all this, just FYI.)


I had just rinsed, shampooed, and conditioner her hair, and this is what we saw...haha.


We moved into the garage (vs the backyard) because it started raining.  They sectioned her hair, and started with the first, front section by drying it first...  They blow dried each section individually as they got to it.  It actually made it easier to keep stray hairs away by keeping parts of it wet.


Then they started with the color.  They chose the color order based on what Emma told them she wanted.  She wanted pink in the front, then yellow, then purple (?), then green (teal), then blue.  


When they got to the yellow, they noticed that the pink started bleeding over onto it.  Since the yellow is such a light color, they decided to foil it to keep it safe from the darker colors.  It was mighty entertaining watching them try to foil it.  It seems super slippery and really difficult to get the foil to stay.


So, then Emma had a crown of foil on her head, mostly because it looks cool.  As you can see, when they added the additional colors, they just twisted the hair to keep it to itself, and it worked really well.

Here Violet is getting her color put on.  No bleaching needed since she's blonde.

Foil to keep her other hair safe.


Here's a better close up (they hadn't gotten the blue on yet):


Meanwhile, Rhys was in the house, pouring herself a glass of orange juice.  When she missed and poured it onto the floor, she got a little paper towel to try to clean it up.  Cute!  (and sticky)


Then it was time to rinse her hair.  So, being the professional salon that our kitchen is, we had her lay on the counter and put her head in the sink (towel under her neck to catch stray color).  We didn't use shampoo this time.  Just rinsed super well and then used a conditioner.


And then they were done!  It looked better than we imagined it would.  I can't remember how long it took.  Maybe four hours?  I was surprised to suddenly feel overwhelmed by the emotions of it all.

It's time likes this where the charity of others means more than you can express.  Sure, it's just a hair coloring...but for Emma, it was more than that.  And with all the crappy stuff she's going to have to go through, knowing she got to do this means the world to us.  Thank you, Connie and Hanah!!

Meanwhile, Rhys was making herself a sandwich aka drinking the honey...



They didn't forget how important it was to Violet too (even I wasn't as on my "game" as usual with including Violet with my focus on her hair, but they were!).  They gave her a lot of attention with how exciting her hair was to them too.  They were both hilarious, incredibly sweet, giving ladies.


Violet wanted the purple color, which is why we had purple.  It's her current favorite color (funny, considering her name).


Here's a little thing I made for FB that shows different angles and more of her hair.  The lovely hair ladies had taken these photos.

They did a pretty fantastic job, didn't they?!!  It was funny watching them try to figure it out as they went.  They put a lot of thought into it, and clearly it paid off.  They did a fantastic job.  Oh, and in case you're wondering, they used ION, I think it was...

We have some leftover that we can recolor so that her hair doesn't end up super weird looking.  Also, we are getting some dry shampoo to help extend between washes and will wash in cool water to help it last longer.

Emma LOVES it.  We all love it.  In order to all match, some of the rest of us decided to streak our hair.  You saw Violet.  They also did pink in Rhys' hair.  It matches her coloring well.  I think as Violet's lightens, it'll match her coloring even better too.  So, here's some more pics:

Emma wanted her hair in braids.  It looked super cute.


If you were to ask Violet about this picture, she'd ask you "Do they notice the barbie?  What do they think?"  (I think Tyler is either shape shifting or super-power-speed-walking in the background)

Rhys would not hold still.  Here's one of her...


I tried to get a few of our hair, but it didn't work.  The room was too dark, pic too grainy.  But it was kind of sweet.  That's TS on my shoulder.  Yes, I know his hair is long.  The boy doesn't like it when it gets cut, and I've yet to care enough to make him get more cut off (I do insist on trimming once it reaches a certain length).  He likes it longer.  And, we've watched enough Korean Dramas to not care if his hair resembles that...hehe.

Here you can see it better.  Emma wasn't supposed to be in the photo (she wasn't not allowed, she just walked in while we were doing it) and looked super cute back there.  I have pink in the front, purple on the opposite side (you can barely see it), and then blue in the back.  It's really not super noticeable in my hair.  At least it doesn't seem like it to me.  Maybe it is to others.


Then another lady from our ward dropped by hair thingies for the girls.  They are so unique and individual and cute.  This is an awful picture (when it comes to the lighting), but you can see how cute it is.


Violet wore the matching purple one.  It goes really well with her hair.  Not that you can see it in this dark photo!


The flower looked cute when it was originally put in her hair.  Then it ended up....like....this.  

So, there's that!  Our little Emma has her beautiful hair.  She loves it.  We all love it.  We all enjoy having coordinating hair.

Here are a few, quick, random pic taken from when we walked around the church (we don't go inside with how germy it is in there...the "go to church, even if you're sick with the plague" point of view is real, making it one of the least safe places for Emma).  It was super windy and bright and none of the pics are technically good, but I love them!  We have about ten variations of this (including one where Ella finally made her escape behind us...).


(my hair thingy matched better than it appears here)

Speaking of my hair thingy, it's one of the ones the sweet lady from church dropped off for the girls.  hehe.  Love this one with Violet and her crazy hair (kind of clashes with her dress!).

Violet is starting to notice all the attention that Emma is getting.  Before this, we were able to keep pretty good control over it and make sure we didn't give her more attention than them (since we love them all just as much as we love Emma!).  But now that she is nearing transplant, she gets more attention from others, outside people, which is totally understandable.  We love that people are making her feel special because it's helping her have the focus she needs to do this.  

As a result, though, the other kids, especially Violet, are beginning to feel excluded.  She's been in tears over it.  Makes me heart hurt for her.  I posted about it on FB, mentioning how Violet was feeling, and the awesome response of people made me cry.  (yes, lots of things are making me cry lately!)  Now I don't worry too much.  I know that while I'm gone and can't be here to make sure they know how special they are, others are stepping in and will help to make sure that happens - to help them know they are just as important and aren't at all forgotten.  

A sweet lady responded to my FB post (she's an FA grandma), and this part explains it exactly how I feel:

"People tend to forget the siblings fight just as hard as the "sick one".  The same battle, the same fight...at the same time a different battle and a different fight.  It's hard no matter which way."

It's so true.  

We've bought each of the kids, staying home, bears that I can record my voice on.  I'll leave them a special recording and will also give it a big, magic hug that will always be there.  So, if they need a hug from me, they can give it a hug and know my hug is really still hugging them back.  I'll also be sending them packages and things so that they know I'm thinking of them.  Of course, FaceTiming them every day too!

I cannot believe we leave so soon!  Barely over a week left...

I look forward to being on our way home instead of on our way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment