fish oil

Wow, I can't believe it's almost been two weeks since I updated last!  There's a couple reasons for that:

1)  Ella has lost her mind and won't sleep at night.
2)  I have lost my mind because Ella won't sleep at night.

That means I've often either been going to bed immediately after Ella goes down at night or else I stay up, but I'm so tired I can't write anything coherent (is that much different than normal, though?).

I already fell asleep at the computer twice tonight.  Once while it was turning on, and the second time was after I signed in and was waiting for it to finish booting all the way.  But I WILL UPDATE THE BLOG, BY GOLLY!

So...

Our Thanksgiving was nice.  I made a nice big meal with yummy turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce my sister made, mashed potatoes and gravy, pumpkin pie, sweet potatoes, sweet rolls.  I can't remember if there was anything else.  I started cooking around 7am, and by 12:30 noon, it was time to eat!  It was just our little family, and it was lots of fun.  They kids actually enjoyed the meal a lot, which was very unexpected.  We enjoyed having Tyler at home for a couple days longer than usual.

I'd post some pictures here, but I don't have any seeing as how my camera is STILL GONE, and I didn't think to use my phone camera.

Other than feeling like an exhausted, grumpy, impatient. lazy, boring mom due to lack of sleep, here's some other stuff we've done.

I bought some fish oil.


Why would I do that, you might ask.  I don't really know.  I wanted the Omega 3's from it since I don't think I get enough otherwise.  

When it arrived in the mail, I looked it over and suddenly felt a really, I'm supposed to take FISH OIL and drink it?  How gross is that? type of feeling.  My mind was thinking of fisher man squeezing the fish so all this oil squirted out into the bottle for me to drink (yes, I'm sure that's not how they really do it, but that's what my imagination said they do...).

The thought of actually pouring fish oil onto a spoon and then putting that into my mouth was enough to make me want to gag.  I couldn't make myself do it.

So, I did what any normal person would do.  I gave some to the two year old to see how she reacted and to see whether or not she died from it:

Here Rhys is alive and well, about to take some fish oil:

Here she is STILL alive and well, right after she'd taken some!  Who knew?!  It didn't kill her!  (sorry about her messy face.  She was eating lunch.)  She didn't even seem to think it was gross.

So, I thought, okay, I can do this.  The two year old did it.  So can I.   But the more I looked at it, the more I realized that no, no I can't.  How am I supposed to drink oil from a fish?

This is where there is a noticeable benefit to having several children.  Not only do we have more help to clean the house and several girls to give fashion advice, but we also have several children to use for things just like this. *insert evil laugh*

So, I gave some to Emma.  I didn't tell her what it was or where it came from.  She didn't ask either.  Okay, so maybe she asked what it was.  I told her that it was something good for her that might taste weird.  That perked her interest (you know how much kids enjoy drinking lemon juice just for the enjoyment of puckering at it).

Here she is before: 

Here she is almost during:

Here she is after (yes that is an infant hat on her head.  I have bought her some other hats for Christmas):

Clearly she liked it.

Actually after she made a few gross faces, she reassured me that it really wasn't too bad.

So, I thought of all the brave men and women I know.  People who have fought for our country, faced death, lost limbs, lost loved ones, had crazy trials in their lives and survived, and I thought, I can take a teaspoon of fish oil. 

And, I did.

And, I'm alive.

And, I didn't gag.

But it was gross.  It didn't taste anything like fish.  It was just a really heavy oil feel/texture that coated my mouth, and it had a very strong lemon flavor. I have since learned to have a bite of something else at the ready before taking the fish oil.

Overall, not a big deal.

Anyway, that's the most exciting thing I can think of at the moment.

Oh, and somehow TS got sick a few days ago.  Emma is just now getting it.  She's already running a higher fever than he did and she is feeling really crappy.  Her mouth can get sores in it really easily from illness (common when you have really low white blood cell count, i guess).  She's starting to get some of those.  So, please keep her in your prayers that she'll be just fine and be able to handle this illness like any other child.  Other than one evening, it ended up being pretty mild for TS.  So, hopefully the same will happen with the Emma.

Now time to go to sleep!  Hope you're all doing well!

Comments

  1. As someone that just found your blog (and what a beautiful family you have!), I take fish oil regularly in sppon and having been doing so since I was tiny. I am Scandinavian and here, taking fish oil is part of ordinary diet and pretty much everyone does it. And yes, we do it by spoon every single day :) I work in a preschool and we give all the litle children fish oil every day by spon and they never complain. Fish oil does definitelt not taste good but the advantages it bring health wise outweigh by far the bad taste.

    So continue taking fish oil! Norway produces excellent fish oilm and I cannot reccommend enough the benefits fish oil brings to your health.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts